>     > (ii) tls version max is set 1.2 and openssl 1.1.1 is in use both on
>     > server and client.
>     > PSS signing will get negotiated but we will not error out early as TLS
>     > 1.3 is not in  use.
>     >
>     > That's why I say that this extension of management-external-key is
>     not worth it.
>     >
>     > Am I missing something?
>     >

>     tls_version_max will still report TLS 1.3 as it not affected by the
>     version set in config but really the max the library is capable of
>     irrespectable tls min/max version.
>

> Aha, I missed that. Still I really do not understand the need for
> erroring here
> instead of when prompting for PK_SIGN based on client version.
> Much simpler.

It did this because my initial OpenSSL 1.1.1 client did not have any
problem, only after I upgraded the server to 1.1.1. I want to avoid the
situation that OpenSSL 1.1.1 is used and then just "breaks for no
reason" and erroring out early and tell the "This will not really work"
is a better approach.

Arne