Hi,

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 at 17:53, Arne Schwabe <a...@rfc2549.org> wrote:
> Before OpenSSL 1.1.1 there could be no mismatch between
> compiled and actual OpenSSL version. With OpenSSL 1.1.1 we need
> runtime detection to detect the actual best TLS version supported.
>
> Allowing this runtime detection also allows removing some of the
> TLS 1.3/OpenSSL 1.1.1 #ifdefs
>
> Without this patch tls-min-version 1.3 or-highest will actually
> downgrade to TLS 1.3 in the "compiled with 1.1.0 and linked against
> 1.1.1" scenario.

"Downgrade to TLS 1.2", I guess?

But more fundamental: do want to support runtime-upgrading the TLS
library? Are we sure that this is the only place where this will
create unexpected behaviour? Does it even make sense to upgrade a
dependency to a version that contains all sorts of API/ABI changes and
then expect that you do not have to recompile? Honest questions; I
don't understand why one would want or do this.

-Steffan