Hi,

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 8:45 AM Lev Stipakov <lstipa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Lev Stipakov <l...@openvpn.net>
>
> This set of patches adds support of wintun kernel driver
> (https://www.wintun.net) to OpenVPN.
>
> While wintun is in beta, it performs significantly faster comparison to
> tap-windows6.
>
> Here are some performance numbers (download bandwidth):
>
> Server - community openvpn2
>
> mingw, tap-windows6   - 340Mbit/s
> mingw, wintun         - 675Mbit/s
> VS2019, tap-windows6  - 425Mbit/s
> VS2019, wintun        - 750Mbit/s
>
> Server - propietary openvpn3 with kernel acceleration (in development)
>
> mingw, tap-windows6   - 360Mbit/s
> mingw, wintun         - 840Mbit/s
> VS2019, tap-windows6  - 430Mbit/s
> VS2019, wintun        - 1,14Gbit/s
>
> And for the reference
> openvpn3 test client, VS2019, wintun - 1,71Gbit/s

No doubt this is interesting and surprising given mingw (unlike
cygwin) uses stock Windows runtime. Does the VS build target a more
recent Windows runtime than the legacy one (msvcrt.dll) that mingw
would link against?

With some effort it may be possible to make mingw use a newer CRT (say
mscrt110.dll) and test whether that helps. Also, do we have to
distribute a recent CRT with this executable?

Even if we manage to change the release process to support building on
Windows, it will have to remain a hybrid process for a while at least.
OpenVPN-GUI doesn't build with visual studio and making it do so will
need some work -- especially with the resource file formats. Nothing
complicated but cumbersome. Unless someone volunteers.

Selva