Hi,

On Tue, Aug 18, 2020 at 12:09:11PM -0700, Marvin Adeff wrote:
> I???m sorry for the confusing response.
>
> Our systems do M2M monitoring and need to run OpenVPN even without a user
> logged in.  In previous versions we created a script run as a service (as
> SYSTEM) that started OpenVPN (using certificates for authentication).  It
> also monitored tunnel status and restarted OpenVPN if necessary.  We never
> used the GUI.
>
> So we are watching how v2.5 develops to know how we will need to implement
> the new version.  We are also very interested in seeing what speed
> improvements wintun will offer.
>
> I hope that is clearer.

Thanks for the clarification.

In that regard, 2.5 will bring no surprises - if you already have SYSTEM
privileges, and do not want/need a GUI, you can "just run OpenVPN" as
you did before.

You can do this with your script, or with the "openvpnsrv2" service,
which basically runs openvpn on all config it finds in its config
directory at system startup.  Not sure if these instances get restarted
at exit (last time I looked at this was before 2.4.0 release...).

If you already have SYSTEM, accessing wintun from openvpn directly will
also work and should bring quite a bit of speed improvement.

The tricky part is "run from an interactive session" where you can get
Administrator privs, but not SYSTEM (unless you play dirty tricks, which
half the virus scanners out there will flag as "MALWARE!")...