I ditched using openvpnservice for precisely this reason and instead
have had great results using nssm (The Non-Sucking Service Manager from
http://nssm.cc/)

Basically it is a better service manager than the default Windows one
and I use it to control openvpn.exe. End result is we can have
sleep/hibernate, restart, have tunnels die,etc and nssm will ensure
openvpn.exe is restarted - precisely what you want in an "always on
vpn"/headless solution

Here's how we configure it

"c:\program files\openvpn\bin\nssm.exe" set trimble-openvpn AppDirectory
"c:\Program Files\openvpn\config" > NUL 2>&1
"c:\program files\openvpn\bin\nssm.exe" set trimble-openvpn
AppParameters trimble.cfg > NUL 2>&1
"c:\program files\openvpn\bin\nssm.exe" set trimble-openvpn AppStdin
"C:\Program Files\openvpn\log\trimble-openvpn-stdin.log" > NUL 2>&1
"c:\program files\openvpn\bin\nssm.exe" set trimble-openvpn AppStdout
"C:\Program Files\openvpn\log\trimble-openvpn-stdout.log" > NUL 2>&1
"c:\program files\openvpn\bin\nssm.exe" set trimble-openvpn AppStderr
"C:\Program Files\openvpn\log\trimble-openvpn-stderr.log" > NUL 2>&1
"c:\program files\openvpn\bin\nssm.exe" set trimble-openvpn
AppRotateFiles 1 > NUL 2>&1
"c:\program files\openvpn\bin\nssm.exe" set trimble-openvpn
DependOnService Dhcp tap0901 > NUL 2>&1

--
Cheers

Jason Haar
Corporate Information Security Manager, Trimble Navigation Ltd.
Phone: +1 408 481 8171