On 21-08-2015 13:45, David Sommerseth wrote:

> On 21/08/15 11:55, Rui Santos wrote:

>> Nonsense.  If files and directories have 0655/0744, even the
>> 'nobody' user should be able to read these files.  Also consider
>> that *connecting* to the server DO work.
>>> @Debbie Nonetheless, thank you for your effort. I do appreciate
>>> you help.

>> This is just pure guesswork, debbie10t.  The CRL file is *NOT*
>> affected by --persist-key.
>>

>> Rui:  How have you configured --crl?  Did you add the 'dir' flag
>> when pointing to the directory?  Or did you point directly to a CRL
>> file?
>>> Hi David,
>>> I assume you mean the --crl-verify option, right? If so, the
>>> --crl-verify option is not specified at all. According to man
>>> page, on the --crl-verify section, the you can either specify a
>>> CRL PEM encoded file, which contains one or more CRLs
>>> concatenated. This could be doable. With the dir flag, the
>>> directory you specify as second parameter, must contains files
>>> named after the serial numbers of the "revoked" certificates.
>>> Quoting from the man page: "If  the optional dir flag is
>>> specified, enable a different mode where crl is a directory
>>> containing files named as revoked serial numbers (the files may
>>> be empty, the contents are never read).  If a client requests a
>>> connection, where the  client  certificate serial  number
>>> (decimal string) is the name of a file present in the directory,
>>> it will be rejected." According to my understanding, you cannot
>>> have multiple CRLs in one dir, by using --crl-verify dir <dir>
>>> approach. Do you agree ?
> Yes, I meant the --crl-verify option, sorry about the misguiding here.
>   And you're right, using the 'dir' option doesn't take CRL files but
> empty files with the file names being certificate serial numbers of
> revoked certificates.  The contents of these files in this 'dir' case
> is never parsed.
>
>>> Nonetheless, IMHO, the use of capath is preferable, because use
>>> just need to place both CAs and CRLs files in one directory,
>>> c_rehash it, and that's all... all you need to do to manage it,
>>> is to copy the CRL across, whenever a certificate is revoked. In
>>> my case it would also be preferable, because there are multiple
>>> CAs and CRLs, thus I would not need it to concatenate all CRLs,
>>> every time a CRL is changed. That's why I would prefer the
>>> capath.
> Jan Just Keijser is truly the authority when it comes to configuring
> OpenVPN, which also responded to you.  I double checked a few details
> with his "OpenVPN 2 Cookbook", and I relearned some details about
> - --capath I had forgotten.
Hi again David,

Thanks for the heads up :) I was unaware of that... I'm kind of new on
this list.
My first reply on this list was actually his, 9 days ago... Thanks Jan.

> So, you can use --capath for CA certificates and their corresponding
> CRL.  But there are a few tweaks here, so if you can double check that
> your CRL files inside the CApath directory have the same hash as the
> CA hash they represent, but with an .r0 extension instead of .0.  That
> should normally be the trick.
>
> I hope JJK doesn't kill me for pulling out an extract of one example
> of his book:
>
>    $ cd /path/to/ca/directory
>    $ openssl x509 -hash -noout -in ca.crt
>    bcd54da9
>
> This means that the CA file should be named bcd54da9.0 and the CRL
> file should be named bcd54da9.r0
I'm aware of that. On most Linux distributions, you may replace that
with the following command:
~# c_rehash .
It will perform all those hashes and some more. I've double checked, and
c_rehash generates the same hashes that the standard OpenSSL command
generates, including for the CRLs with .r0 ones.
However it will also generate other links/hashes pointing to the same
CAs and SubCAs. I'm unaware what those are for...
But, since I do not use the --ca nor the --verify-crl options (only the
--capath), OpenVPN would not even work nor read the CRLs upon restart,
right ?

> If this is the situation in your setup, I'd wait for JJK to test this
> out as well.  If it turns out there's a bug or misconfiguration, he
> will usually be able to confirm it.
Ok. Let's let him enjoy the rest of his vacations. :)
I'll wait.

David, once again, thanks for your and time spent on this.

--
Melhores Cumprimentos / Best Regards,
Rui