----- Original Message -----
From: "David Sommerseth" <openvpn.l...@topphemmelig.net>
To: <debbie...@gmail.com>; "Rui Santos" <rsan...@grupopie.com>
Cc: <openvpn-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2015 6:40 PM
Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] CRL and --CApath usage

On 20/08/15 19:11, debbie...@gmail.com wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rui Santos"
> <rsan...@grupopie.com> To: <openvpn-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:10 PM Subject: Re:
> [Openvpn-users] CRL and --CApath usage
>

>> On 20-08-2015 15:01, debbie...@gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rui Santos"
>>> <rsan...@grupopie.com> To:
>>> <openvpn-users@lists.sourceforge.net> Sent: Thursday, August
>>> 20, 2015 12:33 PM Subject: [Openvpn-users] CRL and --CApath
>>> usage

>>> The manual has this to say:
>>>
>>> Note: As the crl file (or directory) is read every time a peer
>>> connects, if you are dropping root privileges with --user, make
>>> sure that this user has sufficient privileges to read the
>>> file.
>>
>> Hi Debbie,
>>
>> I'm aware of that. OpenVPN is indeed running as user nobody. But
>> the accesses 0755/0644 for directories and files, respectively,
>> should take care of that issue, shouldn’t it ?
>
> Did you try *without* dropping root orivileges ?

Nonsense.  If files and directories have 0655/0744, even the 'nobody'
user should be able to read these files.  Also consider that
*connecting* to the server DO work.

> Perhaps the crl (in PEM format) is also effected by --persist-key

This is just pure guesswork, debbie10t.  The CRL file is *NOT*
affected by --persist-key.

Rui:  How have you configured --crl?  Did you add the 'dir' flag when
pointing to the directory?  Or did you point directly to a CRL file?

- --

Due to a lack of config files and logs I was mearly offering suggestions.
Also, I now know that --persist-key does not effect the crl PEM file..
The manual is not clear:

--persist-key
Don't re-read key files across SIGUSR1 or --ping-restart

Could be construed as:
 "fileS which are keyS" or "fileS which are key to operation."

Thankyou