Hi Russel,

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 11:29 PM, Morris, Russell <rmor...@rkmorris.us>
wrote:

> Thanks for the replies! And Selva had a good lead – the firewall (gateway
> machine … running pfSense).
>

> The gateway is blocking the traffic … because the traffic incoming from
> the OpenVPN client is routed directly to the other machine on the LAN
> (bypassing the gateway, it’s on the subnet so doesn’t need to go to the
> gateway), but the return traffic is routed through the firewall / gateway
> (OpenVPN subnet) … but as the firewall didn’t see the initial traffic, it
> believes this is an issue and blocks it.
>

> Make sense?

Very likely due to asymmetric routing as you suspect. To test, try
disabling firewall rules for traffic leaving and entering same interface on
pfsense.  I have dabbled with pfsense only briefly a couple of times, so no
idea whether that is a safe long-term solution.

See also the docs here
https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Asymmetric_Routing_and_Firewall_Rules

Selva