Yep, that works. Thanks for all the help and suggestions - very much
appreciated! And I can use the workaround Selva proposed - life is good ... :).

Have a nice weekend!

... Russell

From: Jan Just Keijser [mailto:janj...@nikhef.nl]
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2017 5:37 AM
To: Morris, Russell <rmor...@rkmorris.us>; Selva Nair <selva.n...@gmail.com>
Cc: openvpn-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Openvpn-users] Intermittent Connectivity

Hi,

On 13/07/17 05:29, Morris, Russell wrote:
Thanks for the replies! And Selva had a good lead - the firewall (gateway
machine ... running pfSense).

The gateway is blocking the traffic ... because the traffic incoming from the
OpenVPN client is routed directly to the other machine on the LAN (bypassing
the gateway, it's on the subnet so doesn't need to go to the gateway), but the
return traffic is routed through the firewall / gateway (OpenVPN subnet) ...
but as the firewall didn't see the initial traffic, it believes this is an
issue and blocks it.

Make sense?

you can test this by adding a direct route on a host on your LAN, e.g.
  route add -net 172.16.1.0/24 gw <LAN-IP-of-VPN-server>

and then ping that host from the VPN client - traffic should not hit the GW at
all in this case. If that does work, then indeed you are looking at an
assymetric route+pfsense issue.

HTH,

JJK