> AirVPN uses its own tool they call "Eddie" which will do latency tests and
> connect to a recommended server, but which will also allow you to
> manually choose one.

I guess there is a 'market' for an open tool that does the same for corporate
networks then.

> You can also let the 'fake' VPN server just not give out any routes to the
> company network, which you can do with a client-config-script.
> At that point the VPN is only used for the VPN, but if your VPN clients
> normally only use the VPN to get to the normal company network (ie. you >
> don't stay on the VPN with your data) then connecting to the VPN (with no
> default route) does no damage.

It would still lead to IP address depletion (we mostly use /24 subnets with
DHCP configured to have a pool of 150 IP addresses available, in our larger
offices we might have more than 75 users connected simultaneously). I could of
course work around that by making the VPN a different routed (or not routed at
all, if I read you correctly) subnet, but would prefer to stick with bridging
for now.
But it looks like we can't have it all, for now...