Hi,

On 18-06-18 00:53, David Sommerseth wrote:
> On 17/06/18 23:21, Alex K wrote:
> [...snip...]
>>
>> Seems that I can use AES-256-GCM since it gives same encapsulation overhead
>> with slight decease of bandwidth compared to  AES-128-CBC I was using and it
>> will provide some extra security to avoid any surprises from the quantum
>> computers :)
>
> Let me just correct a potential misunderstanding.  AES-256 makes it a bit
> _harder_ to attack compared to AES-128 in the post-quantum scenario.
>
> I'm fuzzy on the details (and the crypto geeks need to correct or confirm
> this) ... but IIRC, the strength of AES-256 today is comparable to AES-128 in
> a PQ scenario.  And like wise, today's strength of AES-128 today would be
> roughly half that in a PQ world.

As rule of thumb, yes.  That's a safe way to think about it.  (In
reality, it's likely more secure than "half the exponent", because there
are all sorts of inefficiencies involved.)

> So AES-256 _does_ _not_ _protect_ you.  It just _increases_ the difficulty of
> breaking it.
Of course AES itself could be broken, but when we assume that AES128 is
sufficiently secure now, we may assume that AES256 is secure in a
post-quantum world.

That said: in the PQ scenario AES is the least of you worries.  The
(EC)DH part in TLS is.  You can use tls-crypt to work remedy that somewhat.

Bottom line: AES-256-GCM was chosen as the default because it's a safe
bet.  If you really need the extra bit of performance, using AES-128-GCM
probably fine too.

-Steffan