On 15/11/2021 13:31, Gert Doering wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 09:05:19PM +0000, lejeczek via Openvpn-users wrote:
On Linux, OpenVPN does not modify the DNS servers itself (unlike Windows).

There's two ways to make it happen

   - use Network Manager to run OpenVPN - it will parse the server reply,
     and set up DNS accordingly

   - add an "up $script" to your client config to do the DNS setup -
     we ship a sample script ("pull-resolv-conf") to do that, but I'm
     not sure if Fedora integrates that, or uses something else - ask
     rpm what is in the openvpn package.

gert
Thanks for that.
I've never thought of NM as better alternative than opvn
itself, it seems to work
Well, it's not "a better alternative to openvpn", it's "a wrapper
around openvpn that understands Linux DNS config" - which is highly
distribution specific, so OpenVPN does not attempt to do it itself.

however I wonder if NM (at least in
Fedora) has a problem with re-uping connection after system
resumed from sleep.
Well, that is most easily tested, no? :-)

(As far as I understand, NM is "sleep aware", and will stop the OpenVPN
session before sleep and resume afterwards - which brings certain kinds
of problems, but fixes other kinds)
It does not on fedora, not automatically, manual intervention is needed to re-established vpn connection after system resumed from sleep.
gert