Hello,

On Wed, Sep 28, 2022 at 1:10 PM Sebastian Arcus <s.ar...@open-t.co.uk>
wrote:

> On 27/09/2022 21:09, tincantech wrote:
> Some updates from today's testing:
>
> Test case 1
>
> Topology: subnet
> Adapter: WinTUN
> Netbios over TCP/IP: disabled or enabled
> Result: 300kbs (for both states of NetBIOS over TCP/IP)
>
> Test case 2
>
> Topology: subnet
> Adapter: TAP
> Netbios over TCP/IP: disabled or enabled
> Result: 900Mbs (for both states of Netbios over TCP/IP)
>

> Essentially using "topology subnet" seems to work fine with the TAP
> adapter, but routes all smb traffic through the tunnel with the WinTUN
> adapter, even when Netbios over TCP/IP is disabled.
>
> I'm not sure if this actually clarifies things or makes it worse. I
> re-run the tests several times, and rebooted the machine after changing
> the settings on the adapters and before running the tests

This is getting more and more mysterious. Somehow SMB traffic is using the
VPN IP and hence getting routed through the tunnel. DNS/netbios would have
been the obvious culprit, but  that doesn't seem to be the case... As
Windows has no built-in policy routing facilities (does it?), probably
there is some third party port forwarding running on the client? However,
that should have affected both wintun and tap-windows tunnels. Can you
mount a shared folder using the LAN IP of the server like \\192.168.112.xx
and see whether that makes a difference?

tcpdump could also help figure out why there are two smb streams one using
LAN IP and other using the VPN, which is carrying what traffic, which one
gets established first etc..

Selva