The release notes say:

  configure now enables DCO build by default on FreeBSD and Linux. On
  Linux this brings in a new default dependency for libnl-genl (for
  Linux distributions that are too old to have a suitable version of the
  library, use "configure --disable-dco")

Now we checked this on our different ubuntu machines and found that
openvpn (from the official build repos)

on focal: had no DCO
on kinetic: had DCO built-in

So I thought that libnl-genl and libnl-3 may not be available on focal
or may be a bit too old. So I checked that as well:

on kinetic:

# dpkg -l  | grep libnl
ii  libnl-3-200:amd64                     3.7.0-0.2   amd64   library for
dealing with netlink sockets
ii  libnl-genl-3-200:amd64                3.7.0-0.2   amd64   library for
dealing with netlink sockets - generic netlink
(I omitted the -dev packages, since their version match)

on focal:

# dpkg -l |fgrep libnl
ii  libnl-3-200:amd64                 3.4.0-1ubuntu0.1   amd64   library for
dealing with netlink sockets
ii  libnl-genl-3-200:amd64            3.4.0-1ubuntu0.1   amd64   library for
dealing with netlink sockets - generic netlink

Now I wondered if 3.4.0 is considered too old (aka "not suitable") or if
this is maybe an error in the build process?

configure.ac in 2.6.1 says:

PKG_CHECK_MODULES([LIBNL_GENL],
   [libnl-genl-3.0 >= 3.4.0],
      [have_libnl="yes"],
      [
       AC_MSG_ERROR([libnl-genl-3.0 package not found or too old. Is the
development package and pkg-config installed? Must be version 3.4.0 or newer
for DCO])
      ]
)

According to this, 3.4.0 should suffice!

So maybe the build process for the packages on
https://swupdate.openvpn.net/repos/ is lacking a few build dependencies?

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin