I'm only an user f openwisp but I'll try to answer some of you questions:

1. Openwisp is pretty mature in what is supposed to do: deliver uci
configuration to openwrt devices. Because openwisp has this very specific
goal it's hard to compare it to commercial wifi solutions like Cisco's.
Those solutions usually optimize channels, have intrusion detection, user
managemnt and so on, that's not the goal of openwisp.

2. I'm not sure what you mean. You can probably have multiple openwisp
server using a single external database but opwnwisp is not involved in
user authentication. For example: you can configure openwrt devices to use
a radius server using openwisp and that's all, Openwisp will not show user
connected to your devices, this is an information you will find on the
radius server.

3. No.  Openwisp is not a capwap controller, it's more of an "uci
controller" that delivers uci formatted configuration files to devices and
also any other type of text fle. UCI and capwap are different stuff. If you
need a way to send uci configurations, text files, bash scripts and so on
to you openwrt device to get capwap up and running that's ok you can do
that but you will need a third party capwap controller.

I hope this helps.