You're correct in the fact that trying to register 2 devices with the same
mac address will return an error.
However if you plan to use auto-registration you don't need to set the mac
address of the old record to 00:00:00:00:00:00, you can just delete it (or
delete it afterwards you have set it to 00:00:00:00:00:00 and copied its
configuration to the new registered device).

Federico