Malte S. Stretz wrote:
> Hi JoW,
>
> On Wednesday 17 June 2009 16:14:37 Jo-Philipp Wich wrote:
>> I like that .tar.gz idea, it would also cover devices like the Fonera
>> where you have two separate images too.
>>
>> However, it's planned to introduce a unified image format for OpenWrt
>> which would solve most of this issues so I haven't started working on it.
>
> Is this planned for some time or do you mean Daniel's proposal (which sounds
> like a new idea but I'm not subscribed to this list very long).
>
> There's no reason why the unified format couldn't be a tgz (or some other,
> maybe uncompressed, format which carries a magic number) with some meta
> informations :)  Daniel's proposal sounded quite complicated to me.
My plan for the unified format is to keep the on-flash format the same
as the input format. In the long run, I don't want any unpacking to be
done in sysupgrade or the web interface. The structure is roughly like this:
[second stage loader][environment][kernel][rootfs]
The second stage loader unpacks the kernel part using lzma, and the
environment contains information about the split between kernel and
rootfs, so that it no longer has to be reflected in the boot loader's
partition split.
Another useful aspect of the environment is that it can contain
preloaded uci config changes for the image, so you can build
preconfigured images for lots of nodes without repacking the kernel or
the rootfs.
I don't know when I'll be able to finish this, but I did start working
on the loader part already (which is the biggest part of this)

- Felix
    • ... Daniel Dickinson
      • ... RHS Linux User
      • ... Malte S. Stretz