On Tue, 2010-09-07 at 10:13 +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 11:31:22PM +0200, Michael Büsch wrote:
> > (I guess you already compiletested them. It's also useful to do one or
> > two dircleans or similar and rebuild the whole tree to make sure they
> > behave well in parallel build).
>
> What are the requirements to enable parallel building for a package?  Is
> it sufficient if the package itself builds cleanly with "make -j4",
> or do I need to take some sort of "cross-package" things into account?

The package itself has to compile cleanly (preferably tested multiple times)
with multiple jobs. Inter-package dependencies don't matter in this context,
as the whole package build is delayed until those dependencies are met.

> (I'm fairly sure openvpn-devel will handle parallel building nicely,
> but it might not be well-behaved regarding dependencies or something
> like that...)

Well, it is actually pretty hard to write a makefile that does _not_ handle
parallel build correctly. You have to abuse makefile features to break it.
So over 98% (estimated by me) of all software builds nicely with multiple
jobs. There are makefiles that do not behave very well (do not parallelize
well), but there rarely are makefiles that actually break compile.

--
Greetings Michael.