On Friday 02 September 2011 15:10:47 Luka Perkov wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 02, 2011 at 01:32:18PM +0200, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> > On Friday 02 September 2011 12:55:08 Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > > ... with latency requirements in the milliseconds range.
> >
> > Indeed, that's the part I am concerned with, along with the memory
> > footprint. Any code should be able to work with and without Preemption
> > enabled. Your patch remains a workaround for now.
>
> Please try to reproduce the issue with nmap on your devices. Run nmap
> like I wrote on your PC and see what will your router do (you are
> testing it's ability to handle many nat connections).

I will try to reproduce the error, but you cannot argue that code should be
able to work fine with PREEMPT enabled or not, I have seen crappy drivers only
working with preemption enabled too, but this is not an excuse.

> Try it with and without my patch and post what happened.

This has a net impact on the resulting kernel size, here is what I get for
ar7:

- without preempt: 887 KB vmlinux.lzma
- with preempt: 902 KB vmlinux.lzma

this is quite a big increase.