On Fri, 2012-11-02 at 01:47 -0700, Russell Senior wrote:

> Nathan> Hi, I've just noticed that since r33640 (x86: remove
> Nathan> grub-legacy) my builds for Geos don't boot.  After the GRUB
> Nathan> 2.00 menu on the serial port, it only gets as far as "Booting
> Nathan> `OpenWrt'".
>
> Nathan> Is there anything I need to do differently with GRUB2?
>
> The same problem exists for alix2.  Oddly, x86-generic-net45xx (as of
> very recently) was working with grub2.  I don't know why.

I wonder if it's a BIOS issue; something that Grub2 relies on that
legacy Grub didn't. Are the affected platforms running a fairly
up-to-date version of Coreboot/SeaBIOS?

Or is it actually the OpenWRT image that's the problem? If you boot the
"working" x86-generic-net45xx image on a Geos or alix2, shouldn't you at
least get *some* serial output from the kernel as it boots, before
something goes wrong?

--
dwmw2