I believe I discovered that interfaces in /etc/config/network and
/etc/config/wireless sharing the same identifier causes a collision of some
sort that can disable all the device's network interfaces, i.e. such that
it no longer even responds to ping on eth0.

Possibly, this is intentional?

For example, in /etc/config/network:

config interface '*mesh*'
        option proto 'static'
        option ipaddr '5.X.X.X'
        option dns      '208.67.222.222 208.67.222.220'
        option netmask '255.0.0.0'
        option broadcast '255.255.255.255'

And then this VIF in /etc/config/wireless:

config wifi-iface *mesh*
        option network 'mesh'
        option mode 'adhoc'
        option device 'radio0'
        option ssid 'MyMesh'
        option bssid '02:CA:FF:EE:BA:BE'
        option encryption 'psk2'
        option key 'averystrongkey'

The collision was happening on repeater nodes in an OLSR-managed adhoc
network, not on gateway nodes oddly enough.  The repeater nodes in question
had 3 wireless VIFs, the adhoc IF, a public AP running coovachill, and a
private AP with WPA2 security.

Changing the identifier in /etc/config/wireless from "*mesh*" to "*wmesh*,"
i.e. anything besides "mesh," seemed to resolve the problem.

config wifi-iface *wmesh*
        option network 'mesh'
        option mode 'adhoc'
        option device 'radio0'
        option ssid 'MyMesh'
        option bssid '02:CA:FF:EE:BA:BE'
        option encryption 'psk2'
        option key 'averystrongkey'

The wiki about /etc/config/wireless doesn't appear to make explicitly clear
that interface identifiers should not be the same as the 'network' property
for that interface.
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/wireless

--
Ben West