From: Daniel Smith
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:05 PM
To: David McBride <dmcbr...@linuxfoundation.org>
Cc: opnfv-tech-discuss@lists.opnfv.org; Christopher Price
(christopher.pr...@ericsson.com) <christopher.pr...@ericsson.com>; Fatih
Degirmenci (fatih.degirme...@ericsson.com) <fatih.degirme...@ericsson.com>;
jack.mor...@intel.com
Subject: Follow up on COMMON Discussion from the Release meeting today

Hello David.

Further to your comment about "not hearing about the issues regarding
commonality and how this is achieved within OPNFV", I would ask that you take a
look at the GENESIS JIRA issue list.

https://jira.opnfv.org/projects/GENESIS/issues/GENESIS-77?filter=allopenissues

In terms of discussion points - these are the issues that need to be resolved /
an agreement on how we are going to do all this together (and how to handle
when for whatever reason a person,project, tech piece, etc) cannot be aligned
(and how the pharos, infra, projects and scenarios should handle such one-offs)
are listed.

These have been growing and languishing for quite some time and since Genesis
is not releasing in Colarado, -  I'm having a hard time rationalizing putting
in work hours / idea and code towards the CI evolution and INFRA WG items, when
as soon as they are submitted they are either to vertical (Silo/application for
a single case) or are simply not relevant to all, because everyone is so far
along doing their own thing.   As has been indicated several times through this
release (open tickets on yourself, Heather, etc that sit unanswered) and
previous release, its quite hard to put in work that we "know" is going to be
pushed back since the first comment would be that it "doesn't apply to all /
people do this differently).

Faith has brought this up several times as well with regards to RELENG.

I am not sure that INFRA WG (and definetaly not PHAROS) is the correct place to
have this - since INFRA should not really be a "be-all to end-all" place for
everything (and this extended beyond simply INFRA WG - marketing,
documentation, how we "call things").

In the end, maybe trying for commonality is not a good goal (I don't know) -
and that would be fine, so long as we start to build CI, RELENG, PHAROS< etc
with the idea that each "installer" (and thus by proxy, feature, scenario and
testing suite) will be unique in approach and code to meet this requirement.

Thank you for your attention on this matter.
Daniel Smith

[Ericsson]<http://www.ericsson.com/>

Daniel Smith
Sr. System Designer
Ericsson Inc.
8400 Decarie Blvd.  Montreal, PQ
(514)-594-2799

[http://www.ericsson.com/current_campaign]<http://www.ericsson.com/current_campaign>

Legal entity: Ericsson AB, registered office in Stockholm. This Communication
is Confidential. We only send and receive email on the basis of the terms set
out at
www.ericsson.com/email_disclaimer<http://www.ericsson.com/email_disclaimer>