SNMP is a management protocol, not a data transfer one.

SNMP Trap is like a UDP message - send and forget.

SNMP Notify can require confirmation, so you can make sure it reaches it's
destination (or know that it could not).

I rather disagree with the characterization "low data rate and high overhead" -
compared to what, and by what criteria?

P.S. IMHO, SNMP Traps are perfect for telemetry.

Regards,
Uri

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 17, 2018, at 04:27, Adrian Farrel <adr...@olddog.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Hi Tianran,
>
> Yes, I mean the "Trap" which is now called "Notification."
>
> You're right in your assessment of the drawbacks, and you should add to that
> list the drawback of the low data rat and high overhead that come with the
> protocol.
>
> I didn't mention the Notification to propose it as a mechanism for telemetry,
> but just so that your introductory text has a complete description of the
> pre-existing environment.
>
> Best,
> Adrian

>>> ARCA