Thank you Loa for your review, context, and comments!

Please see inline.

On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 12:53 AM <l...@pi.nu> wrote:

> OPSAWG participants, Carlos, Adrian and Greg.
>
> As one of the co-authors RFC 6291 I agree that it makes sense to update
> RFC 6291 in this way.
>
> In part, this draft is very close to what Greg and I tried to say in a
> mail that we sent to some wg's. We saw a DETNET/RAW document that used the
> acronyms iOAM and oOAM, and we found that this was too easy to confuse
> with e.g. the widely used IOAM.
>
> We tried to recommend that we should use easily distinguishable acronyms,
> I find that Adrian and Carlos do a much better job on this.
>
> Some notes:
>
> RFC 6291 is a BCP, which is the target status of this draft. Are there any
> problems updating a BCP?

The target is BCP as well, and a BCP can point to 2 RFCs.

> In the introduction, I find:
>
>    Additionally, this document recommends avoiding the creation and use of
> extended acronyms for the qualifiers of "OAM".  For example, the first
> "O" in "OOAM" could mean out-of-band, overlay, or something else.
>
> If I understand correctly this leaves us with IOAM as an "extended
> abbreviation", right? I hope you are planning to change that
> abbreviation.. I hope you are not planning to change that.
>
> The RFC Editor talks about for example "IOAM" as abbreviations if there
> are no strong reasons we should follow suit, i.e. avoid acronyms.

This is a good point, and IOAM is the only "OAM acronym" included in
https://www.rfc-editor.org/materials/abbrev.expansion.txt

I think while keeping the reco, we can acknowledge this pre-existing use.
I added some text to this effect, let's see if this works.

> Section 2 in the document discusses "in-band" and "out-of-band", there are
> several examples and I agree with the recommendation:
>
>    The guidance in this document is to avoid the terms "*-band" and
>    instead find finer-granularity descriptive terms.
>
> However, there a simple search among IETF drafts shows that several
> documents have "in-band" in the file name and also use "out-of-band" in
> the text. There might be a substantial review required to enforce the
> recommendation. Should we ask that the directorates put an instruction for
> the directorate reviewers to try to capture this?

Another useful comment -- we feel that laying out and 'enforcing'
recommendations going forward is the most effective approach, and indeed
there are active I-Ds using "in-band" in the filename.

At this point, as this document is also an I-D and not approved,
highlighting this issue and suggesting a discussion on the relevant I-Ds as
part of OpsDir review would be indeed an approach.

Thanks!

Carlos.