-----邮件原件-----
发件人: Evans, John [mailto:jevanamz=40amazon.co...@dmarc.ietf.org]
发送时间: 2024年1月31日 20:25
收件人: Qin Wu <bill...@huawei.com>; Evans, John <jevan...@amazon.co.uk>; Henk
Birkholz <henk.birkh...@sit.fraunhofer.de>; OPSAWG <opsawg@ietf.org>
主题: Re: [OPSAWG] 🔔 WG Adoption Call for draft-opsawg-evans-discardmodel-02

Hi Qin,

> [Qin Wu] Maybe a new section can be added to clarify the relation with
> RFC8343.

We will explicitly call out the relationship to data models.

> the table in section 3 just provides model structure but doesn't specify
> parameters details.

Yes - agreed - we will expand on that

> [Qin Wu] Sorry not to make me clear, I just feel the 9 rules you set
> in section 4.3 is more like you set requirements for packet discard
> reporting, to me, the rules are more something related to auto mitigation
> actions which is confusing.

Section 4.3 is the examples in 02:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-opsawg-evans-discardmodel-02#section-4.3

I'm assuming you mean the 11 rules in section 4.2?
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-opsawg-evans-discardmodel-02#section-4.2

The rules here are intended to be with respect to packet loss reporting
requirements rather than auto-mitigation actions.  Could you call out a
specific example which is confusing?
[Qin Wu] No strong opinion here, just feel the term 'rule' and 'requirement'
are interchangeable term, requirement seems more reasonable term to me.

Cheers

John

On 31/01/2024, 11:57, "OPSAWG on behalf of Qin Wu" <opsawg-boun...@ietf.org
<mailto:opsawg-boun...@ietf.org> on behalf of
bill.wu=40huawei....@dmarc.ietf.org <mailto:40huawei....@dmarc.ietf.org>> wrote:

Hi, John:

> I am wondering whether this draft should update [RFC8343] to address such
> limitation.

Ultimately, I think we should update the corresponding data models to reflect
whatever we agree in this draft, should we progress it. In this specific case,
RFC8343 has reflected what is in RFC1213. Hence, our focus is first on
standardising a framework for packet loss reporting. Once the information model
is agreed, we can proceed to apply that to the corresponding data models, which
we currently define as out of scope in section 1:
"There are multiple ways that this information model could be implemented
(i.e., data models), including SNMP [RFC1157], NETCONF [RFC6241] / YANG
[RFC7950], and IPFIX [RFC5153], but they are outside of the scope of this
document."

I will update section 1 to reference RFC8343 in addition to RFC1213.

[Qin Wu] Maybe a new section can be added to clarify the relation with RFC8343.
In addition, the table in section 3 just provides model structure but doesn't
specify parameters details. Section 5 and section 6 of RFC3060 provide a good
example on how these details can be specified.

> 6. Section 4.3 specific requirements rather than rules for packet loss
> reporting

I'm not sure what you mean here - could you please clarify your feedback?

[Qin Wu] Sorry not to make me clear, I just feel the 9 rules you set in section
4.3 is more like you set requirements for packet discard reporting, to me, the
rules are more something related to auto mitigation actions which is confusing.
Also not sure you can enumerate all the rules in a single section?

On 31/01/2024, 08:06, "OPSAWG on behalf of Qin Wu" <opsawg-boun...@ietf.org
<mailto:opsawg-boun...@ietf.org> <mailto:opsawg-boun...@ietf.org
<mailto:opsawg-boun...@ietf.org>> on behalf of
bill.wu=40huawei....@dmarc.ietf.org <mailto:40huawei....@dmarc.ietf.org>
<mailto:40huawei....@dmarc.ietf.org <mailto:40huawei....@dmarc.ietf.org>>>
wrote:

Hi,
I have read the latest version of this draft and have the following comments:
1. what is the difference between packet loss and packet discard, it seems this
two terms are used interchangeably in the draft, in some places packet discard
reporting is used, while in some other places, packet loss reporting, which I
think lack consistency. Suggest to introduce two terms defintiion in the
terminology section.
2. Section 1, 1st paragraph said:
"
Router-reported packet loss is the most direct signal for network operations to
identify customer impact from unintended packet loss.
"
I feel packet loss is just one of signals for network operators to identify
customer impact? How about network latency, jitter?
3.Section 1, 2nd paragraph said:
"
The existing metrics for packet loss as defined in [RFC1213] - namely
ifInDiscards, ifOutDiscards, ifInErrors, ifOutErrors - do not provide
sufficient precision to be able to automatically identify the cause of the loss
and mitigate the impact. From a network operators' perspective, ifindiscards
can represent both intended packet loss (i.e., packets discarded due to policy)
and unintended packet loss (e.g., packets dropped in error).
"
It looks not only metrics for packet loss defined in [RFC1213] has its
limitation, but also YANG model for interface management defined in [RFC8343],
I am wondering whether this draft should update [RFC8343] to address such
limitation.
4. If my understanding is correct, the solution described in Section 2 include
three key elements, packet loss, cause, and auto-mitigation actions the cause
can be seen as trigger or condition, which will trigger different
auto-mitigation actions, these concept is similar to ECA concept in
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-eca-policy/
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-eca-policy/>
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-eca-policy/>
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-netmod-eca-policy/&gt;>) which
include Event, condition and action three elements, when the event meets
specific condition, e.g., packet loss is greater than specific threshold value,
the action will be triggered, the action can be sending an notification, or
sending a snapshot of device statistics.
Different from ECA, in this draft, auto-mitigation actions and cause is not
modelled in the packet loss model, I am wondering how packet loss reporting
trigger auto-mitigation action? Do you need to populate specific policy in the
device, this policy will be associated with specific monitoring object such as
"discards/error/l2/rx/", is such policy corresponding to specific python code,
which can be excuted based on the logic described in the policy?
5. Section 4 defines a information model, I am wondering whether this packet
discard model should augment interface YANG model defined in [RFC8343]?
For the current shape, I feel it lack sufficient details on the definition for
each attributes.

6. Section 4.3 specific requirements rather than rules for packet loss reporting

7 Section 5, can we model both packet loss statistics and auto-mitigation
action in the same model, similar to what ECA model is doing in
draft-ietf-netmod-eca-policy.

-Qin