Sean
Sent: 08 February 2001 10:41
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Hi Folks,

Our company has inidicated it's heading for 24 x 7 operation.  So informal
talks are taking place about the new "challenges" this brings regarding
having staff on call to support IT systems.  I would very much appreciate
your feedback if you are in an on-call environment as to what the terms,
conditions, and perks (if any) you get for same.
Some specific information I'm looking for is:
- How frequently are you on-call and for how long and to cover what hours.
e.g. one week a month from 22:00 - 06:00.
- What tools are you given to support this process. e.g. pager, laptop for
remote dial-in, cell phone.
- Whats the procedure if you "get the call".  Do you dial in initially to
try to resolve, that failing go on site, in other
  words the escalation process
- What renumeration or other benefits do you get for being on call.
- Are there additional 'benefits' if you are called whilst being on call.

I'll treat any replies where requested with strict confidentiality.

Sean :)

Rookie Data Base Administrator
[0%] OCP Oracle8i DBA
[0%] OCP Oracle9i DBA

"They tell me nothing, but expect me to know everything!"

Author: O'Neill, Sean

Author: Chandini Paterson