        From:   Stefan Jahnke [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
        Sent:   Thursday, May 03, 2001 8:30 AM
        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
        Subject:        Re: data encryption

        "Andor, Gyula" schrieb:

        > Hi Gurus !
        >
        > Is there any standard method to encrypt data? We are making an
application
        > that uses application-level privilege system, so we should store
passwords
        > for users. Of course we want to store encrypted passwords, but we
don't know
        > if is there an existing way for this or try develop own
encryption. What do
        > you suggest?
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        > Gyula

        > Author: Andor, Gyula
        >   INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        >
        > Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX: (858)
538-5051
        > San Diego, California        -- Public Internet access / Mailing
Lists

may
        > also send the HELP command for other information (like
subscribing).

        > This Mail has been checked for Viruses
        > Attention: Encrypted Mails can NOT be checked !
        >
        > ***
        >
        > Diese Mail wurde auf Viren ueberprueft
        > Hinweis: Verschluesselte Mails koennen NICHT geprueft werden!

        Hi,

        you can always go with the UNIX crypt() function. That works pretty
well
        ;).
        Things get more complicated if you want to be able to decrypt the
        password again.
        There is a clear distinction when it comes two one-way or two-way
        encryption.
        But usually, one-way does it. Actually, Oracle does the same.

        --
        Regards,
        Stefan Jahnke

        Author: Stefan Jahnke