Linda,

This information is covered in the Backup and Recovery
Internals course offered by Oracle.

In addition to the info provided by Riyaj, here are
some more details:

flg values:
  0x01  log has been archived
  0x02  no more space available in log
  0x04  the next log to be used
  0x08  the current log
  0x10  log is being cleared

hws:  header write sequence
  I'm not sure what this is used for, but I imagine
it's another cross check mechanism to ensure that the
correct version of the block is being accessed.

Lest you get the idea to manually hack the file
headers, a checksum is stored in the file header.

HTH,

-- Anita

Author: A. Bardeen