Kevin Bass wrote:

> I have attempted a full export and received the following message:
>
> [/u03] $ exp system/<password> full=y rows=y file=full.dmp
>
> Export: Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production on Mon Dec 3 15:3:21 2001
>
> (c) Copyright 1998 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.
>
> Connected to: Oracle8 Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production
> PL/SQL Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production
> Export done in US7ASCII character set and US7ASCII NCHAR character set
>
> About to export the entire database ...
> . exporting tablespace definitions
> . exporting profiles
> . exporting user definitions
> . exporting roles
> . exporting resource costs
> . exporting rollback segment definitions
> . exporting database links
> . exporting sequence numbers
> . exporting directory aliases
> . exporting foreign function library names
> EXP-00008: ORACLE error 1578 encountered
> ORA-01578: ORACLE data block corrupted (file # 1, block # 2660)
> ORA-01110: data file 1: '/u02/oradata/TIE/system01.dbf'
>
> Since the corruption resides in the SYSTEM tablespace, it seems that the
> course of action that should be taken is to re-create the database.
>
> Kevin L. Bass
> Database Administrator
> Americal Corporation
> (252) 762-2199 x2144

Unfortunately, it looks like it. But perhaps you can recover your data
by exporting on a per something basis, 'something' being either owner or
tables or whatever, just trying to circle around the problem. Which is
why you should check dba_extents (somebody posted the query). It will
tell you which table is screwed up, and you may be able to use an export
function which does NOT export what is held in this table. You have good
blocks around the bad one, the problem is to tread carefully around.
Kind of minefield with a single mine in it. Of course no need to do this
kind of thing if you have a reasonably recent backup and do not care too
much about the transactions you might lose.
--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult
Oriole Corporation