Hi

Q) Can I have same instance name on same unix server?If yes then how?
A) No

Q) Can I restore the database with diffrent name.
A) Yes but this is hard by hand but easy if you use Rman

Q) Suppose I have backup of prod instance on one server.
     can I create prod1 instance name on diffrent server by having same hotbackup data files,archived log files and control files.?
A) Yes

By the way read the manules :

Oracle8i Backup and Recovery Guide

Oracle8i Recovery Manager User's Guide and Reference *

Oracle8i Standby Database Concepts and Administration

Seema Singh wrote:
Hi
Can I have same instance name on same unix server?If yes then how?
Can I restore the database with diffrent name.Suppose I have backup of prod instance on one server.can I create prod1 instance name on diffrent server by having same hotbackup data files,archived log files and control files.?
Thx
-Seema

Regards

Peter Gram

Miracle A/S
http://MiracleAS.dk
Tel: +45 2527 7107

-- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Peter Gram INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).