A DW stores data in a denormalised fashion, that's one
point that every body knows but it is also subject
oriented. It is also developped one subject at a time.

A DW is multi-subjects as a datamart is on one
subject.

>From Bill Inmon

>From the data warehouse data flows to various
departments from their customized DSS usage. These
departmental DSS data bases are called data marts. A
data mart is a body of DSS data for a department that
has an architectural foundation of a data warehouse.

The data that resides in the data warehouse is at a
very granular level and the data in the data mart is
at a refined level. The different data marts contain
different combinations and selections of the same
detailed data found at the data warehouse. In some
cases data warehouse detailed data is added
differently across the different data marts. Yet in
other cases a data mart will structure detailed data
differently from other data marts. But in every case
the data warehouse provides the granular foundation
for all of the data found in all of the data marts.
Because of the singular data warehouse foundation that
all data marts have, all of the data marts have a
common heritage and are able to be reconciled at the
most basic level.

 --- [EMAIL PROTECTED] a écrit : >

> -- Gurelei <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 05/10/02 12:13:27
> -0800
>
> > Jared,
> >
> > Thanks for the answer. I must admit my ignorance
> in
> > terminology as for me data warehouse and data mart
> > pretty much the same thing except for size. I
> > understand that data mart is smaller. The database
> I'm
> > referring to could probably be described as data
> mart
> > as it is going to be rather small - a gig or so
> maybe.
>
> "Data Mart" == summarized data from a Warehouse used
> speed up query times. Main point to a mart is that
> by
> pre-aggregating the data the volume (and keyspace)
> are
> reduced. Mart's acutally increase total storage
> becuase
> they store the data more than once (Warehouse +
> agg'd
> into the Mart). Advantage is speed for the 90% of
> all
> queries that use agg'd data in the first place.
>
> --
> Steven Lembark                              2930 W.
> Palmer
> Workhorse Computing                      Chicago, IL
> 60647
>                                            +1 800
> 762 1582
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
>
> Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX:
> (858) 538-5051
> San Diego, California        -- Public Internet

> from).  You may
> (like subscribing).

=====
Stéphane Paquette
DBA Oracle, consultant entrepôt de données
Oracle DBA, datawarehouse consultant

Author: =?iso-8859-1?q?paquette=20stephane?=