Raj,
Would the temp have gotten the  same result by counting the frequencies of
the letters in the game of scrabble?
Chaim

"Jamadagni, Rajendra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>@fatcity.com on
05/22/2002 11:53:22 AM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent by:    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:    Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
cc:

I remember, in 96/97, I was working on a Oracle 7 database and none of the
this sample() was available. My task was to select x people out of z number
of people randomly. We hired a temp, who took Dallas/Fort Worth dictionary
(I was working in that area) and counted (yes counted) number of people
whose last names started with A and B and so on.

We put this information into a table and then found out percentage of last
names starting with A compared to the whole list for each letter. This
percentage was used as weightage for each letter when choosing random
samples from a list of people. Then I used this weightage and dbms_random
pick the required number of names from our database. It was fun to
implement, but I feel bad for the temp who had to count the names.

So, compared to that, 8i and 9i built-in features rock !!
Raj
Rajendra Jamadagni            MIS, ESPN Inc.
Rajendra dot Jamadagni at ESPN dot com
Any opinion expressed here is personal and doesn't reflect that of ESPN
Inc.

QOTD: Any clod can have facts, but having an opinion is an art!

(See attached file: ESPN_Disclaimer.txt)