I have done OPS/RAC on 7.x, 8.x, 8i and 9i w/IBM SP,
RS/6000 and Sun.

Believe it or not you can encounter database hangs on
OPS/RAC on any of these versions that you do not
encounter on non-OPS/RAC solutions (or as Oracle likes
to put it in some cases slows down so much that it
appears hung).

In most cases you can steer clear of these issues by
not executing DDL very often while the system is
running in a production mode or by avoiding full
consistent exports. Replication is another area that
can lead to hung databases when used in conjunction
with OPS/RAC.

I still advise clients to not go their unless they
have to (adding more CPU's will give you more bang for
the buck than another system in most cases like
yours).

In cases where you need the scalability and your
application is designed for it (pre-9i), you can make
it work. The simpler the application the easier it
will be to get functional.

I prefer the terminal releases of any of these
versions up to and including 9.0.1.4.

Bill

--- Seema Singh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi
> I have one application which is running on Oracle
> 8.1.6.But most of time CPU
> idea is very low due to capacity peak.I am looking
> for either Oracle
> Parallel server or Oracle9i.Oracle Parallel server
> would distribute the load
> but question is.
> Is Oracle Parallel server is stable in rel 8.1.7 or
> rel 9i?
> We are also thinking to upgrade Oracle9i,What Would
> be the group View on
> Oracle9i?
> Is is ok to move forward Oracle9i for production
> database?
> Any statistics how much %of peoples are using Oracle
> Parallel server and
> Oracle 9i right now?
> Thanks
> -Seema

> http://mobile.msn.com
>
> --
> Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ:
> http://www.orafaq.com
> --
> Author: Seema Singh
>   INET: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Fat City Network Services    -- (858) 538-5051  FAX:
> (858) 538-5051
> San Diego, California        -- Public Internet

> from).  You may
> (like subscribing).

LAUNCH - Your Yahoo! Music Experience
http://launch.yahoo.com