Title: RE: Ids and passwords for application users
trying to understand how oracle 9i proxy authentication work.

is anyone using it?
-----Original Message-----
From: Jacques Kilchoer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2002 4:28 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: RE: Ids and passwords for application users

I always preferred the option of having a userid for each person, because it makes it easier to match session to user. When you say userid "dwilliams" locking a table you know who to call, but if you see userid "app_user" you have to do some extra work to track the person down. >From a developer point of view, it's easier to determine the name of the logged in user (use built-in "user" function) than it would be to find out the machine name / application name (select * from v$session).

If you have only one username with a password hard-coded in the application, how do you plan on hiding the password from the user, or changing the password if it becomes compromised?