    -----Original Message-----
    From:   Karniotis, Stephen [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

    Everyone:

       I am looking to all of my esteemed peers and gurus to clarify something
    that I know is blatantly wrong.  Here is the scenario.  I have a co-worker
    that is preparing for the DBA OCP debacle.  They have completed a
    significant portion of the training and are preparing to take the first set
    of exams.

       To see what they have learned, I asked them to define what comprises an
    Oracle Instance and what comprises an Oracle database.  Here are the

    An Oracle Instance
            The database instance contains storage areas that allow users to use
    the database, data dictionary, redo log buffers and various processes that
    help to maintain, tune and run the database

    An Oracle Database
            The Database files consist of the parameter file or init.ora file,
    the physical data files, the control file and the redo log files and
    archived log files if the database is run in archive log mode

       Now, we all know that an Oracle instance comprises the background
    processes, the memory processes, memory storage areas, the and INIT.ORA
    parameters whereas the database comprises the physical files, data
    dictionary, users, objects, etc.

       The problem I have is the education is being supplied by our favorite
    vendor, Oracle.  Did I go on vacation too long or is Oracle professing
    incorrect information in the OCP.  Can one of the people that has taken the
    exam the classes look this up in the manuals for me?

       This proves my theory of refusing to take this exam unless hogwhipped and
    tied down (Rachel, sit down please and thanks for volunteering).  If bad
    information is being given, then what's the use of the exam?

            Thank You

            Stephen P. Karniotis
            Product Architect
            Compuware Corporation