-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 11:39 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Russ - A couple of ideas for you.
  1. Check directly in Oracle before you perform a task with the tool. And
check afterward to verify what the tool did. This will make you a better
DBA. And in a future job interview, you'll have a more interesting
conversation than just saying "duh the only way I know to work with Oracle
is to use this tool."
  2. Make a list of incidents where the tool messed things up or didn't use
the best method. Management is often impressed with detailed, documented
facts. It can also open a dialogue with the SAP tool developers. Often those
people want good feedback since they are developers, not production DBAs
(years ago I held that job at a different ERP vendor).
  3. Keep in mind that you face the same issues in using any tool, even if
it is Oracle's OEM, which management at some sites mandate their DBAs use.
Sometimes more efficient, but you are one degree removed from Oracle.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.

Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 8:03 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

I fully agree.  Unfortunately management insists on it.

Russ