Yes, I concur.  RAC might be positioned as a "cluster of cheap Intel/Linux
servers"
but a true cluster isn't really cheap.
On Compaq Tru64 Cluster, we are going for a Memory Channel Interconnect
which, I understand, is even more expensive than Gigabit.

hemant
At 07:43 AM 26-09-02 -0800, you wrote:
>Glenn - I have a question you could ask. Oracle talks about how RAC will
>allow Oracle to make better use of cheap computers. To me the weak point is
>how much bandwidth you have between the nodes. If you have a gigabit fiber
>optic connection between the nodes, it might work well, but suppose you have
>a shared LAN? To me, RAC would work quite nicely in a clustered server, but
>then we've strolled away from cheap, haven't we? This point is keeping my
>hardware people from buying into the concept.
>
>Dennis Williams
>DBA
>Lifetouch, Inc.
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hemant K Chitale
My web site page is :  http://hkchital.tripod.com

Author: Hemant K Chitale