To which I would add... downtime and losing data can be very expensive so
given the alternative, if you need fault tolerance and scalability then
maybe it is cheap by comparison.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 11:14 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Dennis,

True, a 2/3 node clusters ain't that cheap.  But to achieve high
availability
the other choice is to buy a high end server like Sun E10k or the newer
ones.  And I think the 2/3 node clusters are cheap compare to those big
iron boxes and you get a very good availability and scalability from
clusters.
I think that's the selling point of RAC.  You can cluster bunch of cheaper
Intel based machines running Linux cluster and run RAC on it.

Richard