You make me nostalgic. Reminds me of the times when I used to use elm and
pine as my email software. I remember using uuencode to encode the files,
and sending them like a normal text file. The receiver then had to save the
email as an ascii text, and use uudecode to retrieve the attachment.
Sigh!!!!

Raj

                    "Markham, Richard"

                    <RMarkham@hafeleame        To:     Multiple recipients of list
ORACLE-L <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    ricas.com>                 cc:

                    Sent by:                   Subject:     RE: How to zip a file on
From Unix shell script
                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    October 17, 2002

                    12:34 PM

                    Please respond to

                    ORACLE-L

I'm curious how you get sendmail/mailx to send a file as an attachment?  I
suppose it can be done.