From: Cary Millsap [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 6:42 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
Subject: RE: SPIN_COUNT - 8i obsolete? What now?

Thanks Rachel.

For Denham: Changing SPIN_COUNT from its default value is usually a Very
Bad Thing. Your sleeps are caused by lots of competition for one or more
latches. The best way to stop those sleeps from impacting response time
is to cut out the unnecessary competition. Because of how we're all
taught to tune SQL (by eliminating physical I/Os and then quitting),
almost every system in the world suffers from unnecessarily excessive
numbers of latch acquisition attempts.

If the competition is for the "shared pool" or a "library cache" latch,
then your application parses too much. For more details, see "Scaling
applications to massive user counts" at www.hotsos.com/catalog. If the
competition is for a "cache buffers chains" or "cache buffers lru chain"
latch, then your application reads too many blocks from the buffer
cache. For more details, see "Why you should focus on LIOs instead of
PIOs" at www.hotsos.com/catalog.

Yes, increasing SPIN_COUNT can reduce the number of sleeps, but it does
so by wasting more user-mode CPU doing an operation called a "busy
wait." See the LIO/PIO paper mentioned earlier for details about what
increasing SPIN_COUNT does to Oracle's latch acquisition algorithm.

Rachel's right: Instead of worrying whether there are too many sleeps on
your system, decide whether the business benefit of improving the
performance of one or more specific business functions will be worth the
effort. Direct performance improvement decisions by what's important to
the BUSINESS, not by what some V$ table says might be wrong with your
system.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com

Upcoming events:
- Hotsos Clinic, Dec 9-11 Honolulu
- 2003 Hotsos Symposium on OracleR System Performance, Feb 9-12 Dallas
- Jonathan Lewis' Optimising Oracle, Nov 19-21 Dallas