I believe that one position is used for positive/negative value. So it
wouldn't fit otherwise

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: vrijdag 22 november 2002 12:24
To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L

Dear List

Have a look at the sql !!!

SQL> create table trnid
  2  ( trn_id number(10));
Table created.

SQL> insert into trnid(trn_id) values('1111111111');/* 10 1's inserted*/
1 row created.

SQL> insert into trnid(trn_id) values('111111111');/* 9 1's inserted*/
1 row created.

SQL> commit;
Commit complete.

SQL> select trn_id from trnid;

   TRN_ID
---------
1.111E+09
111111111

can anyone tell why the number(10) is stored in exp format

Regards,

Sathyanarayanan

Author: Jack van Zanen