Hot backup of the repository is fine as long as you can be
assured that all files needed for a complete recovery are
going to be available.

Recover a hot backup of an RMAN repository to another
server using imcomplete recovery, ( your RMAN server
burned to  a crisp, drives and all ), and you may or may not
have a good repository.

If the backup was made while the repository was in use for
other backups, it may be in a logically inconsistent state from
the RMAN perspective.

Kind of like backing up OID.

Could be that I'm wrong on this, but I don't have time to test
it and come up with a definitive answer.

Jared

"Arup Nanda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 01/09/2003 01:09 PM