On the "I did not recover the database in 8.1.7 and then upgrade because the destination machine did not have the 8.1.7 code installed on it at that time. " I've faced similar situations before -- particularly when the new server OS doesn't support the older RDBMS version !! [e.g. Oracle 7/8 for HPUX 10.x can't run on HPUX 11]

I think I've also once used 8.1 to apply 8.0 archive logs
but can't remember the details -- except that that wasn't in
a production or cloned-production database !
Hemant