    -----Original Message-----

    From:   April Wells [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

    << snip >>

    You don't have foreign keys... we don't have PRIMARY keys.  We call unique indexes primary keys... but after 10 years of not understanding why queries didn't return data that made sense, they allowed me to put not null constraints on the columns in the unique index (when I told them that they either do that or they answer to the clients).  Historically, the DBAs in this company have done little more than implement what programmers designed and then tried to make it work.  They WON'T use stored procedures, they don't understand them.  THEY write code that sits in files on the OS and call those "programs" via shell scripts.  They heard once that it was faster that way in Oracle 2 and so it must be still true, cause COBOL never changes so Oracle must not change.