Have you considered dropping the indexes before import, then rebuilding parallel
nologging?

Ron Thomas
Hypercom, Inc
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Each new user of a new system uncovers a new class of bugs. -- Kernighan

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      Sent by:                 To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]         cc:

                                               Subject:  would imp speed affect by
setting indexes to NOLOGGING?

                      05/27/2003 11:19

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      ORACLE-L

Hi,

Would the imp speed increase by setting all indexes to NOLOGGING?

I have a schema with 249 tables and 442 indexes and I have a weekly schema
refresh program running as this:

exp schema from Server A (Oracle 8173 on Sun Solaris box)
ftp dump file from Server A to Server B, the dump file size is 1.9GB after
compression
imp schema on Server B (also Oracle 8173 on Sun Solaris box), the imp
usually take about 7 hours.

With everything elase the same, last week I changed all indexes in the
schema on Server A to "NOLOGGING" (they were all set to "logging" before),
hoping to increase the speed of imp on Server B. Because I thought the
"create index ... nologging" would reduce redo log writing, therefore
increase the imp speed quite a bit (there are some big indexes there!). But
this morning I found the imp still took about the same time as before,
although I was told that the system I/O seems to be lower.

Does anyone have similar experience? TIA.

Guang

Author: gmei

Author: Ron Thomas