It's been about a decade that I have been working with AIX. There must be tools that give you a breakdown by cpu. Else you can do a ps -ef or ps aux and watch your process. If I'mm right you should see it consuming 99% cpu all the time.

I have been looking after Peoplesoft systems for several years and I know those cascading NLs. They can drive up logical reads and cpu usage to astronomical heights. Do you by any chance have optimizer_index_cost_adj or optimize_index_caching changed from their defaults? Care to send me the sql and a 10053 trace of the explain? A warning though. I will be out camping the next three days, so the earliest I will be able to look at it is Monday (july 28th).