Hi

I don't want to create a fight, but in a configuration with 2 groups and 4 members you need 8 disks :

1 disk for every member.

When the db is writing to one group the archiver will be reading from the other group, by the
why since there are multibe members in the group the db (archiver) will read 64 Kb chunks
from the each member and there by distribute the IO

That's my 2 cent's of knowledge, comment and correction are welcome :-)

Mladen Gogala wrote:

There are two reasons:
1) Redo log groups are never used simultaneously, so they can reside on
the same disk. Log members should not be on the same disks for increased
survivability. That gives us 2 groups with 4 members, each two members
sharing the same device - 4 disks alltogether.
2) It's because I say so and I'm an 8i OCP.