I believe the answer is 2 because you need to multiplex each group member
and you need a minimum of two spindles to do this.

You can't begin to reuse a redo log until it has finished archiving,
therefore, you need to put your archive logs on DISK 3 in order to prevent
your ARCH and Log Writer processes from competing. At least that is how I
think about things.

group A
        log 1a DISK 1
        log 1b DISK 2
        log 2a DISK 1
        log 2b DISK 2
        log 3a DISK 1
        log 3b DISK 2
        log 4a DISK 1
        log 4b DISK 2

group B
        log 1a DISK 1
        log 1b DISK 2
        log 2a DISK 1
        log 2b DISK 2
        log 3a DISK 1
        log 3b DISK 2
        log 4a DISK 1
        log 4b DISK 2

That way if you loose one disk, you can still recover your redo via the
remaining log.

Josh