Gunnar Berglund [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] on Friday, September
05, 2003 5:24 AM said;

> is anyone using Net App Filer -products with Oracle environment.

Yup.  Hosts a horde of databases for a medium sized outfit - pehaps 3000
employees, 24/7 manufacturing.

> What do you think?

I like it but I'm not the DBA.  It works for us, but might not be right for
a bigger company.  That said, most companies in the US ARE our size .. or
smaller.

> Advantages

Snapshot.  Best damn way to backup a box yet.  We 'snap' at 12 hour
intervals, it's a breeze to restore.  Off course, we still have tapes.

It's Unix, underneath.

Web Mgt interface makes doing admin chores easy.

Just Works - mount the Filer drives as NFS mounts from the host.

Support; Net App knows about problems at the same time we do.  A few times
our POC has gotten to work and found out about potential problems from a
chipper voice mail from Net App.

> Disadvantages

It was difficult getting to know the Filer at first - we had a difficult
time wrapping our heads around the whole idea.  Our DBA was .. dubious at
best about the prospect.  I think we've won him over.

~brian
Author: Brian Dunbar