Cost is the easy one. They run comparable to Microsoft or thereabout. They have various options I haven't looked at yet, that might make them more expensive than that. The DB2 on mainframes and the DB2 on Unix, for instance, were written by different teams. Which might explain why they didn't port the time-based instrumentation from the mainframe environment to the Unix port. So yeah, you probably can't just take code and move it. They have a pretty good porting tool between Oracle and DB2, though. We thought that was rather neat when we ran it against one of our customer's database definitions. The PL/SQL conversion came out alright, too, although there of course are things they can't do and vice versa.

Broadly speaking, I think you can divide the databases of the world into three categories:

1. Oracle, with very good locking strategies, very good read consistency model, very good performance measurement instrumentation (time-based).
2. Other relational databases such as DB2, Sybase, SQL Server, Informix, etc. where they all share the same (to us Oracle-techies) strange locking philosophy, the same consistency model where you have to code more, and no wait-interface.
3. The rest.

re 2: The locking philosophy difference means that you can still have readers block writers and writers block readers, unless you specifically handle how to do it on the transactional level. This explains why cloning databases for reporting purposes is so popular with other databases compared to the Oracle world :).

IBM has pointed out in various whitepapers something which to us doesn't make sense, but which might make sense to others: If you want to have a portable application, you should probably choose one of the category II databases, since they're all pretty much alike in their behaviour on the important aspects of locking and read consistency. If you have to go to or from Oracle to or from another database, you'd have to change code a good deal or live with non-optimal conditions after the migration.

Mogens

Tom Ryan wrote:

have you used DB2? How does it compare to Oracle? Ive seen tom kyte write
that each platform that DB2 runs on is in essence a different database and
you cant take code from one platform and move it to another.

are the features comparable? what about cost?